GGSA Member Schools,
On Saturday, October 20, 2018 the Golden Gate Speech Association will be hosting its first speech tournament of the year --
Individual Events 1 -- at James Logan High School (1800 H Street, Union City, CA 94587).
Coaches are responsible for ensuring their competitors are familiar with and follow CHSSA Rules for Speech, which may be different from NSDA or invitationals.
Coaches should email Kristen Plant with questions.
Event & Registration Information
- The tournament will offer CHSSA Individual Events:
- Original Events include: Original Oratory, Expository (similar to NSDA’s Informative), Original Advocacy, Original Prose and Poetry,
- Interpretive Events include: Humorous Interp, Dramatic Interp, Program Oral Interpretation (formerly Thematic Interpretation), Duo Interp, and Oratorical Interp.
- Limited Preparation Events include: National Extemp, International Extemp, and Impromptu
- Double entry is not allowed at regular season GGSA IE tournaments 1-3.
- There will be Varsity (A) and Novice (B) divisions in each event if entry size allows. Students who have advanced to the final round in a novice division must compete in the varsity division of similar events such as interps, prepared speeches, and limited prepared speeches. For example, if a student was second in novice HI and then switched to duo they would not be able to compete as a novice. However, as a beginning speaker, they could try novice extemp.
- There will be three preliminary rounds and a final round, unless a division is too small to warrant a final round. Trophies will be given in both Varsity and Novice divisions.
- Entry fees are $10 per event, $20 per Duo team.
- Please email Kimberly Fradelis if any participants (including judges) have special needs, as we want to create an inclusive environment with access for all.
- In addition to the judging requirement, every team must bring one adult, usually and preferably the coach, to assist with the running of the tournament. Tournament directors will communicate many assignments in advance, but all coaches are asked to pitch-in on the day!
- Entries must be received -- at this website -- by 5pm on Friday, October 12th, at which time entry fees will be assessed. All entries made by 5pm on Friday, October 12th will be admitted to the tournament, but late entries may be wait-listed.
- Note the deadlines and drop fees.
- For drops that are made by 5pm on Wednesday, October 17th, schools will be credited 50% of the entry fee for those drops. No credits will be issued for drops made after 5pm on Wednesday, October 17th.
- Drops on the day of the tournament slow the tournament down and can hurt the competition pool. Please drop students on this website or email Kimberly Fradelis the night before. We cannot accommodate adds the day of the tournament.
- Coaches, check in with the tabroom between 8:00 - 8:15 a.m.
- Extemp will draw at 8:30 a.m. and the first round will start at 9:00 a.m.
- Judges need to be present for instructions and ballots by 8:30 a.m.
- A schedule is posted in the SCHEDULE tab; however, rounds will go off as soon as they are ready.
- If judges are returning ballots on time, the final round should begin by 3:00 p.m. with the awards ceremony beginning at 5:00 p.m.
- Food will be provided for the students for a fee. Coaches and judges will have food provided for them at no cost. The complimentary food and beverages is for judges and coaches only.
- Students must show respect for the facility and each other.
- Do not enter a room without a judge present.
- No videos or use of phone allowed during the rounds.
- Students are encouraged to dress for the professional occasion. Ties, dress shoes, skirts/pant suits, etc...
- Every team must fulfill their judging requirement of one judge for every seven entries. If you have eight entries, you need two judges.
- Please share the judging instructions and campus map (above) with your judges before the tournament. The CHSSA IE judging video is a great resource to share. View on YouTube.
- To assist the hosts in ordering enough food for the snack bar, all student competitors at GGSA IE #1 is highly encouraged to complete this Google Form with food options for the tournament.
- Students with special intense dietary restrcitions or severe allergies are encouraged to pack their own lunch.
- Please complete the form by Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 11:59 PM.
Thank you for empowering students through speech!
Kimberly Fradelis, Justin Kurup, and Kristen Plant
GGSA Directors of Individual Events