Coaches & Competitors,
Welcome to the 2017 Martin Luther King Jr. Invitational. We are excited to once again host this wonderful opportunity for top caliber speech & debate competition! The tournament will take place from Friday, January 13th – Sunday, January 15th, 2017 at James Logan High School, 1800 H Street, Union City, CA 94587.
IMPORTANT TOURNAMENT CHANGE!
We are reverting to our previous tournament schedule and will be beginning the tournament on the afternoon of Friday, January 13th. We received mixed reviews last January about beginning on Thursday, so to better accommodate teams traveling from across the country we have decided to return to our normal schedule. We look forward to seeing you in 2017!
Registration & Payment
- Teams registering to compete at the tournament must certify mail (require a signature upon delivery) a cashier’s check, money order, or check from their school district directly.
(ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL CHECKS WILL BE ACCEPTED!)
Make Checks Payable to:
Friends of Forensics
ATTN: Tommie Lindsey, Jr., Room 408
James Logan High School
1800 H Street
Union City, CA 94587
- All registration checks must BE RECEIVED no later than Wednesday, January 4th, 2017. If your registration check is not received by this deadline, all of your team’s entries into the tournament will be immediately dropped.
- The Drop deadline for this year’s tournament will be Monday, January 9th. Any drops made after this deadline will incur the full registration fee penalty for that event. ALL FEES WILL BE FROZEN ON THIS DATE AND DROPS AFTERWARD WILL NOT BE REFUNDED!
- Waitlisted entries to the tournament will be cleared by Tuesday, January 10th. Cash payment, cashier’s check, money order, or check from your school district will be accepted at registration for any waitlisted entry fees for competitors that are admitted into the tournament.
We also wanted to share with you a couple of reminders:
- We will be using the January Topic for Public Forum and the January/February topic for LD.
- On Friday, January 13th registration will be open from 3:30 PM – 4:30 PM, in the Pavilion located in the center of the campus. The first rounds of Debate will start at 4:30 P.M.
- Again this year, we will be pre-paneling judges for all events, so please make sure that your judging list entered at Joy of Tournaments is accurate. We will do our best to accommodate the Judging Pool preferences that you indicate for each judge, but feel that it is important to note that judges are not guaranteed to receive ballots for the pools that are indicated. We reserve the right to use any and all judges for any event offered at the tournament, in order to ensure that we stay on schedule. Included in your registration packets will be the individual judging schedules for your registered judges, as last year we received very positive feedback about this system.
- We encourage you to stay on campus. Food will be sold to students in the Student Union cafeteria and available to judges/coaches ONLY in the Pavilion.
- Any questions or concerns should be directed to the information desk, which will be located directly in front of the Pavilion or to the judges table, once the tournament begins.
- Available bathrooms during the tournament are as follows:
- Girls/Boys Locker Room (near Judges room)
- Staff Lounge bathroom (in Senior Patio)
- Hallway near rooms 6, 63, 71 (Women) & 60, 62, 82 (Men)
- Please pick up out-round trophies in the foyer of the JLHS Center for the Performing Arts (large blue building located near the main parking lot).
- Trophies will be awarded for non-advancing quarterfinalists in Individual Events
- Trophies will be awarded for non-advancing double octofinalists in Debate Events
- Trophies will be available for pick up on Sunday, 1/15 between 1 and 4 pm
- Please remind competitors that they are not allowed to be in rooms without a judge present. Any student in violation of this rule will be immediately disqualified.
If you have any suggestions, comments, or recommendations to help us improve the tournament, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com. We are excited you have chosen to compete at our tournament and wish you and your team the best of luck!
Dr. Tommie Lindsey, Jr.
Director of Forensics
James Logan High School