Coaches & Competitors,
Welcome to the 2015 Martin Luther King Jr. Invitational. We are excited to once again host this wonderful opportunity for a top caliber speech & debate competition! The tournament will take place from Friday, January 16th – Sunday, January 18th, 2015 at James Logan High School, 1800 H Street, Union City, CA 94587. We hope you find this to be an enlightening experience for you and your team!
IMPORTANT TOURNAMENT CHANGE!
· Due to a lot of confusion last year, we are changing our fee payment policy for the tournament. Teams registering to compete this year must certify mail (require a signature upon delivery) a cashier’s check, money order, or check from their school district directly.
Make Checks Payable to:
Friends of Forensics
Tommie Lindsey, Jr.
James Logan High School
1800 H Street
Union City, CA 94587
(ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL CHECKS WILL BE ACCEPTED!)
· All registration checks must BE RECEIVED no later than Monday, January 5th, 2015. If your registration check is not received by this deadline, all of your team’s entries into the tournament will be immediately dropped.
· The Drop deadline for this year’s tournament will be Friday, January 9th. Any drops made after this deadline will incur the full registration fee penalty for that event.
· Waitlisted entries to the tournament will be cleared by Monday, January 12th. Cash payment, cashier’s check, money order, or check from your school district will be accepted at registration for any waitlisted entry fees for competitors that are admitted into the tournament.
We also wanted to share with you a couple of reminders:
· We will be using the January Topic for Public Forum and the January/February topic for LD.
· Due to popular demand, Original Advocacy has been reintegrated into the Individual Events offering this year!
· Oratorical Interpretation has also been moved back into the regular IE pool, as there will not be any Supplemental or Consolation events offered.
· On Friday, January 16th registration will be open from 11 AM – 1 PM, in the Alfonso Roderigues Old Gym located in the center of the campus, and the first rounds of Debate will start at 2 PM.
· Again this year, we will be pre-paneling judges for all events, so please make sure that your judging list entered at Joy of Tournaments is accurate. We will do our best to accommodate the Judging Pool preferences that you indicate for each judge, but feel that it is important to note that judges are not guaranteed to receive ballots for the pools that are indicated. We reserve the right to use any and all judges for any event offered at the tournament, in order to ensure that we stay on schedule. Included in your registration packets will be the individual judging schedules for your registered judges, as last year we received very positive feedback about this system.
· We encourage you to stay on campus. Food will be sold to students in the Student Union cafeteria and available to judges/coaches ONLY in the Alfonso Roderigues Old Gym.
· Any questions or concerns should be directed to the information desk, which will be located directly in front of the Alfonso Roderigues Old Gym.
· Available bathrooms during the tournament are as follows:
- Girls/Boys Locker Room (near Judges room)
- Staff Lounge bathroom (in Senior Patio)
- Hallway near rooms 6, 63, 71 (Women) & 60, 62, 82 (Men)
· Please pick up out-round trophies in the foyer of the JLHS Center for the Performing Arts (large blue building located near the main parking lot).
- Trophies will be awarded for non-advancing semifinalists in Individual Events
- Trophies will be awarded for non-advancing octofinalists in Debate Events
- Trophies will be available for pick up on Sunday, 1/18 between 12 and 3pm
· Please remind competitors that they are not allowed to be in rooms without a judge present. Any student in violation of this rule will be immediately disqualified.
If you have any suggestions, comments, or recommendations to help us improve the tournament, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com. We are excited you have chosen to compete at our tournament and wish you and your team the best of luck!
Dr. Tommie Lindsey, Jr.
Director of Forensics
James Logan High School