The Southwest Speech and Debate Institute (SWSDI) cordially invites you to the Seventh annual SWSDI Tournament. The proceeds of this tournament will go to running the eighth annual Southwest Speech and Debate Institute. SWSDI is a non- profit speech and debate summer institute dedicated to bolstering access equity in competitive forensics. SWSDIT will be held Friday, March 2nd and Saturday, March 3rd, and will be hosted on the campus of Horizon High School, in Scottsdale, Arizona.
We will be offering top- notch competition in NIETOC Speech events, Extemporaneous, LD, PF, Policy, and Congressional debates. SWSDIT will feature:
- UK TOC bids in PF and Congress! We are able to offer finals bids in PF and a top 6 bid in Congress.
- NIETOC bids (based on entries per event)
- Tab room staff with years of experience, including Event Chairs at NSDA Nationals and the UK Tournament of Champions.
- Low entry fees with no school fee for out- of- state teams.
- We will attempt to do a “clean break” based on record alone whenever feasible.
- Unique awards, including live miniature cacti for the winners of each event. Speaker awards will be awarded in PF, LD, and Policy. The top 6 Congress finalists will receive awards. The top 6 competitors (or teams of competitors) will receive awards in speech events.
- All judges in LD and policy required to provide paradigms.
- Three judge strikes per team in VLD and VPF.
- Six prelims in Varsity LD and PF.
- At least four prelims of Policy in both divisions
- Three speech prelims, semis (when viable) and finals.
- Three three-hour prelim sessions of Congressional Debate plus finals.
- A veritable cornucopia of delicious, free food for judges.
We are offering open (varsity) and novice divisions of LD, PF, and Policy, and a single open division of Congress. Speech events will only be offered in open divisions.
Please note that PF will use the March NSDA resolution.
Please note that LD will use the March/April resolution.
Although Horizon is the site host, SWSDIT is run by the Southwest Speech and Debate Institute, not by Horizon. The tab room will be run by coaches from other schools, and Horizon students will be competing in the tournament.
We hope you will be joining us in March!
Susan Seep, director of forensics at Horizon, President of SWSDI. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Beth Clarke, director of forensics at Brophy and vice president of SWSDI.
Kimberly Berlat, SWSDI board member
Richard Glover, SWSDI board member
Kevin Berlat, director of forensics at Central, tab room director