Dear Arizona High School Speech & Debate Coaches: Monte Lange, 2016 Speech Contest Chairman and myself, John Adel, 2017 Speech Contest Chairman, invite you to register today at www.joyoftournaments.com for this year’s Rotary 100 Speech Contest**. As you may know, this year will mark the 87th time the Phoenix Rotary 100 Club has presented our annual Speech Contest and we are working to ensure that it is an event that will continue to serve Arizona high school students and their speech & debate coaches. Every year the contest improves and this year should be no exception. That is why the participation of your team is so important!
The Contest is scheduled for Monday, April 3rd, 2017 at the Phoenix Country Club beginning at 8 am and concluding at 4 pm. The Upper Division Finals and the awards presentations will be during the Rotary 100 Luncheon on Friday, April 7th at Noon in the PCC ballroom.
- This year will also mark improvements to the program format and complimentary free breakfast and free lunch to all participating teams!
- The students, coaches, volunteers as well as representatives from participating supporters like the University of Arizona School of Law, Grand Canyon University, Chuck Emmert, station manager of know99 and Terry Gilberg of iHeart Media will dine in the North Ballroom of the Phoenix Country Club and enjoy food and fellowship together.
- This year we will stream live on Facebook as part of a coordinated mutual social media effort. Your school is welcome to join in!
We begin with Opening and Semi-Final Rounds for the Upper-Division (Juniors & Seniors) and Opening and Final Rounds for the Lower-Division (Freshmen & Sophomores) on Monday, April 3, 2017, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The four Upper-Division finalists will compete at our regular Rotary 100 luncheon meeting on Friday, April 7, 2017. The Upper-Division finalists, their parents, their speech coaches, the Lower-Division winners, their parents and their speech coaches will be our guests at this luncheon. Winners will receive trophies and scholarships and the event will be live streamed on Facebook by know99 television.
And, of course, we provide scholarships and awards for participants in our contest. Our traditional aggregate is $11,250 in scholarships for 1st-through-3rd place Upper and Lower Division winners to be applied towards any college or university of the student’s choice, as described in our contest rules. And speech coaches whose schools place first and second in our “Sweepstakes” will receive trophies and cash awards.
Phoenix Rotary 100 has served Arizona since 1914 and we have held this speech contest for 87 years. Your students will speak to and be judged by business and professional leaders in our community, i.e. the type of real-world audience they will face when they use their speaking skills to persuade others as adults in the real-world.
- Each school may register a team with a maximum of eight students (a maximum of two per high school grade).
- Schools must register by March 31, 2017 (5:00pm). They may register on the Internet for the event identified as “2017 Phoenix Rotary 100 Tournament” at www.joyoftournaments.com
- Be sure and include in the registration a headcount of all your participants so we can plan effectively for the event and for the meals.
If you have any questions please contact me at 602-810-8221 or at email@example.com .
Thank you again for your interest and support and we look forward to seeing you at our 87th annual speech contest!
John Adel 2017 Chairman and Monte Lange 2016 Chairman
87th Annual Rotary 100 Club Speech Contest
** If you have already registered, thank you!
Thanks again! ....................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Register your school’s participation by March 31st, 2017 (5:00pm).
Submit information requested below by email to firstname.lastname@example.org OR go to www.joyoftournaments.com on
the Internet to register for the event named “2017 Phoenix Rotary 100 Tournament”.
Name of School: ___________________________________________________________________
Contact Name / Title: ________________________________________________________________
Contact Phone: _________________ Fax: _________________ Email Address: _______________
Mailing Address: ____________________________________________________________________
[ ] Our school will participate in the 2017 Annual High School Speech Contest on April 3th and 7th, 2017 with the following number of students:
___Freshmen ___Sophomores ___Juniors ___Seniors (Names must be provided by the enrollment deadline)
[ ] Our school cannot participate in the 2017 Annual High School Speech Contest.