Dear Speech and Debate Coach:
You and your team are cordially invited to the 53rd annual Hilltalkers/Hawktalkers Peak Invitational Tournament held at Los Alamos High School on September 22, 2018.
The NMSDA Constitution, the NMSDA Competition Events Guide, and the NMSDA Tournament Operations Manual are the final authority for all contest rules.
We are offering the following events: Policy Debate (varsity and novice), Lincoln-Douglas Debate (varsity and novice), Public Forum (novice and varsity), and Big Questions Debate (not bracketed).
Fees and schedules are posted on the Fees and Schedules pages.
We will be using the following debate topics:
- Policy debate resolution (both brackets)
- Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially reduce its restrictions on legal immigration to the United States.
- Lincoln Douglas VARSITY resolution for September/October
- Resolved: In the United States, reporters ought to have the right to protect the identity of confidential sources.
- Lincoln Douglas NOVICE resolution for September/October
- Resolved: Civil disobedience in a democracy is morally justified.
- Public Forum resolution for September/October (both brackets)
- Resolved: The United States should accede to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea without reservations.
- Big Questions debate resolution
- Resolved: Humans are primarily driven by self-interest.
- There are no school entry limits for this tournament.
- Public Forum and Lincoln Douglas debaters may double enter in Big Questions debate. Competitors may not double enter in any other debate event (i.e. a double entry in Public Forum and Lincoln Douglas or a double entry in Big Questions and Policy).
- Only true novices who have competed for 12 or fewer rounds in any debate or speech event may compete in the Novice division of this tournament.
- Note: At the Peak Invitational, Big Questions is considered a one-on-one debate event (single debaters vs. single debaters). No team entries will be accepted.
Registration closes on Tuesday, September 18 at 5:00 pm. Drop fees of $25.00 will be assessed starting on Wednesday, September 19 at 9:00 am.
USE OF ELECTRONICS
We will follow the rules for electronic devices found in the NMSDA manuals. Please review the regulations on electronics in the NMSDA manuals. We hope to have WiFi available for competitors. We are not guaranteeing the availablity of electrical outlets for charging computers.
We expect that all students, while they are guests on the Los Alamos High School campus, will obey the National Speech and Debate Association Honor Code. Any infraction of the code will result in a student and his or her team being asked to leave the tournament. That student's school will be notified of the infraction.
We look forward to seeing you in September!
Coach, Los Alamos High School Hilltalkers
Coach, Los Alamos Middle School Hawktalkers