THIS TOURNAMENT HAS BEEN POSTPONED
2020 Space City NFL District Tournament
Memorial High School
MY PLEA TO YOU: PLEASE READ EVERY WORD OF THE INFORMATION PROVIDED HERE AND ON THE OTHER TABS AND CALL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS.
It is vitally important for everyone to understand that this tournament, above all others, is absolutely the most tedious to prepare and run for everyone involved. As coaches, YOU have so many details YOU must take care of if you want your students to be able to compete in this tournament. The committee cannot and will not allow a school to enter and compete if the requirements have not been met.
That being said . . . I hope you are ready, because it is time to qualify to NFL Nationals in New Mexico!
The Space City NSDA District Committee is pleased to invite you to this year’s national qualifying tournament. We look forward to your participation in one of the most exciting and the most important tournaments of the year, and we eagerly anticipate the selection of the finest slate of competitors to represent our district at the NFL Nationals in Dallas this June.
Your District Committee is working hard to provide you with the best tournament possible. We want to hear about your concerns and help you with your questions, so please do not hesitate to contact us.
Cecil Trent: email@example.com
Victoria Beard: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lillian Ogunbanjo Adeyemi: email@example.com
Derek Davis: firstname.lastname@example.org
Perry Beard: email@example.com
The District Tournament will be a three day event.
The Speech & Interpretation events will be tabulated by using the Up-Down system.
The Debate events will continue to use the traditional up/down method: two losses and the debater or team will be eliminated from the tournament.
Please consult the NSDA National manuals so that you are fully aware of all NSDA Rules prior to the tournament. Some Rules have changed so prepare yourself by reading the manuals. We had consensus from District members to NOT use the NSDA piloted rules this year, as they will not be in effect at Nationals. This does mean that use of the internet/wi/fi is NOT allowed in extemp, but the internet can be used in debate to verify evidence and for partner to partner communication only. The internet cannot be used to look up evidence during the round itself.
- Entries are due March 27, 2020 on the joyoftournaments.com website.
- You will need to bring the originals, with all required signatures, to registration for the district tournament.
- You will need to turn in a copy of all competing oratories and informatives with a proper cover page.
- Interpretation: Please look carefully at the registration form and complete all the required information.
- All students who are entered in two events must complete a Single Letter of Intent form and bring it with the original entry. (This includes students in the top seven of both chambers of Congress.)
- Registration Form
- Single Entry Letter of Intent
- Bonus Entry Form
Although there will be no double entries at Nationals, the District Committee has been given autonomy to approve double entry at our tournament. Please review the following points of clarification:
1. No triple entry is allowed at the District Tournament.
2. Students may only enter one team event. We can allow all possible double entries except Policy/Duo/Worlds, Duo/Public Forum/Worlds, and Policy/Public Forum. Students may only enter one debate event. Students may only enter one Extemp Event.
3. If a student qualifies in a team event and solo event, the student must compete in the team event [Policy, Duo,Worlds, and Public Forum] unless both students qualify in an individual event and indicate that on their single letter of intent form.
4. A student who is double entered in two events at the District Tournament must determine in advance, in writing, signed by the student, coach, parent/guardian, and principal, the event that he/she will enter at the National Tournament if they qualify in both. Students may not double enter at District without turning in the "National Tournament-Single Entry-Intent to Enter Form". This form is available for downloading from NFL online. Also note that if a Student finished in the top seven in Congress and is entered in another event, they must declare whether they will enter Congress or the other event at Nationals. (Please make duplicate copies of this form to have available for your students in the event that they are desirous of double entering, or are available to compete in another event if your school has not filled its quota.) These forms must be turned in at the time of registration, along with the official entry form, with signatures of the coach, principal, and students.
5. NSDA has stressed the importance of schools paying outstanding balances owed to NSDA prior to the District Tournament. Please remember that schools CANNOT compete if they have an outstanding balance with the National Office.You must have all fees owed to NSDA paid before March 27 or you will be denied entry into the District.