Student Eligibility and Requirements
1. National Speech & Debate Association Membership: Only active Association members in good standing are permitted to participate in the district tournament. It is the affirmative duty of each coach to provide proof of Association membership and proof of website registration for each new student member entered in the district contest. The District Committee must disqualify any non-member student from competition. Beginning with the 2014- 15 school year, only students officially registered as a member user on the organization website (www.speechanddebate.org) may compete in district competition. Further, only students who are registered will count toward a school’s allotment.
A. Students must be members (merit degree; 25 points) a minimum of seven days (168 hours) prior to the official start time of the contest, or 4:00 p.m. CT Friday, if the contest will start afterward. All necessary points and fees must be submitted to the national office by this deadline.
B. A student may not have attended a secondary school more than nine semesters and must meet the age/eligibility requirements of his/her state activities association.
- EACH SCHOOL MAY SUBMIT UP TO TWO PIECES OF LEGISLATION.
- PLEASE HAVE YOUR STUDENTS FOLLOW THE FORMAT GIVEN BY NSDA.
- ALSO, REMIND STUDENTS OF THE BILL TEMPLATE LOCATED ON THE NSDA WEBSITE. (THEY CAN EASILY IT BY TYPING IN "BILL TEMPLATE" IN THE SEARCH BAR ON WWW.SPEECHANDDEBATE.ORG.)
January 9, 2018 - Deadline for submission of legislation
January 25, 2018- Deadline for entry
- DROPS MADE ON AND AFTER JANUARY 26, WILL RESULT IN A DROP FEE EQUAL TO 2x THE ENTRY FEE
- REGISTRATION MUST BE COMPLETED ONLINE AT WWW.JOYOFTOURNAMENTS.COM AS WELL AS A HARD COPY SENT TO THE ADDRESS PROVIDED BELOW.
- Please read all materials provided on this website as well as the NFL's District Congress Manual to understand how the tournament works.
- All Deadlines should be followed exactly. Failure to do so could result in your students not being able to compete at National Qualifiers. Entry cannot be faxed or emailed.
You CANNOT fax or email your entry.
All forms should be mailed to: Mrs. Kelly Garner, 9254 Old River Road, Petal, Ms 39465
$10.00 per Congress delegate
$25.00 School Registration Fee
Each congress chamber must have three judges plus one parliamentarian. All judges and parliamentarians MUST NOT have any affiliation with any of the schools or students in the chamber in which he/she is assigned.
Schools are strongly encouraged to help recruit unaffiliated judges. Schools not bringing at least one UNAFFILIATED JUDGE will pay a $50.00 judge fee.
Assigning Students to Chambers
1. All participating schools can choose to enter zero, one, or two students to participate in the Senate. The request of specific students to be entered in the Senate shall be honored. A minimum of eight (8) schools must participate in the Senate for a District Senate to be held.
2. When entering students in the House, schools shall determine the grouping of individual students from their schools, as long as the number of entries in each house is approximately equal (i.e., three houses 3-3-2 or two houses 4-3). Placement of a school's groups into specific chambers shall be done by blind draw, but the tournament director may adjust placement of individual school groupings, so that chambers are approximately equal in size.
3. A chamber shall seat no more than 30 contestants.
4. Chamber assignments shall be made at registration and are final.
At registration, students who are members and have a star next to their name indicating they are a registered member, may be seated in the chamber replacing an absent student from the same school.