National Speech and Debate Association
Eastern Missouri District
Congressional Debate will be Saturday, February 23, 2018
at Parkway South High School!
This site is for the District Competition in Congressional Debate! Use this to register your students for Congressional Debate Districts ONLY. To register your students for the Speech & Debate District Tournament held March 8-10, 2018, follow THIS LINK.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This website is used for REGISTRATION ONLY. For additional information regarding Congressional Debate Districts, please see the EastMO Forensics website pages about Districts. You can find that site HERE!
- Legislation must be submitted electronically by January 19th, 2019! Additional information can be found HERE.
- The "soft deadline" for registration is February 5, 2019. Please have your enitial entries entered via Joy of Tournaments by this time. This gives the District Committee time to make logistical plans AND gives you time to discover problems and get them solved before the hard deadline!
- The "hard deadline" for registration is February 15, 2019. Registration will officially close on this day and all changes from this point forward must be run directly through Justin Seiwell. After this date, only schools registered for Congress will receive communication about this tournament.
- Per NSDA Rules, ALL AFFILIATED SCHOOLS are permitted to enter 2 students in the Senate.
- Per NSDA Rules, the number of house entries you can have is determined by your chapter strength. Joy of Tournaments will not allow you to exceed this number.
- You are encouraged to DISPERSE your entry between the houses -- in other words, if your school has three house entry slots, we suggest placing one student in House 1, one in House 2, and one in House 3 (as opposed to putting two in House 1 and two in House 2). While you have the ability to do that, the reality is that you're then forcing your students to compete against each other.
- MAJOR CHANGE FOR 2019: Due to NSDA rule changes, we may NOT get (nor necessarily want) to get to 4 HOUSE chambers. NO - THIS WILL NOT DECREASE QUALIFIERS. You can still dispurse your entry over four chambers, but when you go to fill out your "green sheet" at the end of registration, pay VERY close attention to your "3 Chamber Scenario" as that will LIKELY be what we use!
- You will need to indicate which, if any, of your students are "PO Eligible" via registration. ONLY these students will be able to run for Presiding Officer during the district tournament.
- After registration closes but before the start of the tournament, the District Committee will meet to BALANCE the chambers. This is so that an equitable number of PO Candidates exist in each chamber. Thus, the WAY you pair your students will not change, but the house that you assign them to might. This is done looking only a numbers, not names, so the District Committee has no control or input over which students are competing against each other in the House -- it is done randomly!
- NEW FOR 2019: The Eastern Missouri NSDA tradition of asking schools to FILL their House entry has been 'softly retired' due to recent rule and entry changes. All coaches are, naturally, permitted to use their allotted entry as they see fit. BUT the District Committee is no longer concerned with ensuring all schools MAXIMIZE their house entry to gain qualifiers.
- The District Committee will provide schools the ability to pre-order a box lunch from Panera Bread Company. The details of this will be made available on or about February 16, 2019.
- Please direct all questions to the Eastern Missouri NSDA District Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org