We will be allowed to send 2 students in the Senate and 6 students in the House to the national tournament.
House or Senate should be listed on the individual preference sheet.
Students interested in applying for Congress should create 2 videos, upload them to Youtube. All applicants must also fill out this google doc in which they will also copy and paste the links into the application: Congressional Debate Application
Applicants will be judged on their analysis, use of support, speaking style, and overall presentation. The deadline for submissions is Monday, April 6th at 11:59:59 pm. The East Texas EC will review all applicants and choose the top candidates and alternates. The team members will be announced on 4/15 on this website.
See Below for Email sent by Debbie Waddell,
Greetings to the East Texas Forensic Family,
I hope you are all adjusting to the interruptions caused by the corona virus. I know current cancellations have caused disappointments With schedules in flux and continued uncertainty with routines, we want to update information for the NSDA national tournament. The national office is being flexible as each area faces different challenges with tournament qualification. East Texas will not host the Congressional Debate tournament in April, and we have new guidelines for qualifying in the House and Senate.
1. Coaches must enter interested students on the JOT website. This will ensure that students are eligible and have your approval to compete. (To eliminate confusion, all current entries have been removed from JOT)
2. Students must submit an application (found above)
3. Each applicant must submit a video with an affirmative and negative speech using the attached pieces of legislation (P8 and F10). (These were ranked as the top 2 pieces of legislation by the selection committee).
4. Registration, application, and the video should be submitted by April 6th, at midnight.
5. An independent committee of judges will evaluate and rank each applicant. (Judges will be selected from those that were originally confirmed for the tournament)
6. The results will be tabulated by the East Texas Committee and announced on the JOT website on April 15th.
The date for WSD applications has also been moved to April 6th at midnight. We will also announce the WSD teams on the website on April 15th.
We want to honor the energy and effort of every student that wants to qualify for the national tournament. We believe the on-line evaluation with both an application and a video submission is the best way to fairly evaluate students.
Several schools chose to have extra fees from the district tournament applied to Congress. Fees will be calculated on April 6th, and any refunds will be sent to the school address listed on JOT.
Please continue to stay safe.