Flint Hills NFL District
Congress General Information
March 17, 2017
2016-17 District Committee
Dustin Rimmey, Topeka High School, District Chair
Scott Bonnet, Emporia High School
Tim Ellis, Washburn Rural High School
Cathy Rankin, Junction City High School
Michelle Taylor, Silver Lake High School
Dear Flint Hills Coaches,
It’s time for our third newsletter. With hope we are all in full swing of the Forensics season and ready to prepare for qualifiers. This newsletter is a repurposing of all information surrounding the Congressional Debate qualifier.
Congressional Debate Qualifier—April 4-5, Manhattan HS (Registration must close March 28th)
Our second qualifying tournament this season is the Congressional Debate Qualifier at Manhattan High School. In the fall, we agreed on having a 2-day qualifier. While we have time to settle on a specific calendar, I have the following thoughts/proposal (This schedule will be finalized at Manhattan High School on Friday, March 17th)
9:15-9:30: Opening announcements, chamber placements.
9:30-9:45: Election of Presiding Officers and Instructions to PO’s
9:45-11:15: Session 1A
11:30-1:00: Session 1B
1:00-1:30: Lunch Break
1:30-1:45: Election of Presiding Officers and Instructions to PO’s (can start as soon as done)
1:45-3:15: Session 2A
3:30-5:15: Session 2B
5:30-ish: Announcement of Super Session participants.
3:00-3:30: Registration re-check in.
3:30-5:00: Super Session 1A (Senate Session 3A)
5:15-7:00-Super Session 1B (Senate Session 3B)
7:30-ish: Announcement of National Qualifiers
The packet will be emailed out to everyone by 2:30 pm on Friday, March 17th.
Here is the agreement we made about how the docket will be created:
1. The senate will be allowed to set their own docket, through the method from previous years (I will place bills into "committees," I will also divide students into committees, and they will set the entire docket).
2. The docket will be pre-set by random draw on Monday, April 3rd at 3:30 pm.
3. All legislation from pod 1 will be randomly drawn to create the top of the docket, all legislation from pod 2 will be drawn randomly to create the bottom of the docket. The Super Session docket will be blind drawn and shared Tuesday afternoon when advancing representatives are posted.
4. Students are limited in their ability to "suspend the rules" and move docket items. A "suspension of the rules" motion regarding docket movement can be used in the following ways:
a. Students may suspend the rules to move the order of legislation in pod 1 (the first 8-9 bills) to change in what order they are debated.
b. Schools may offer to suspend the rules to switch their pod 2 legislation for their pod 1 legislation.
A "suspension of the rules" motion may not be used to allow a school to debate/discuss their second piece of legislation until all "first" pieces of legislation are acted on (previous question and/or tabling) from every school.
5. I will open a discussion of speeches vs motions via email when the packet is sent out with three specific proposals.
If you have not paid your district dues (75.00), please do so ASAP. Your entry fee for this is $5.00 per student.
Names need to be emailed to me NO LATER THAN Wednesday, March 29th.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!
Rimmey District Chair