2018 Central MN NSDA Speech Tournament
March 9 - Centennial High School
March 10 - Eagan High School
All Central MN NSDA Schools are invited to participate in the Central MN NSDA District Speech Tournament on March 9-10, 2018 at Centennial High School (Friday) and Eagan High School (Saturday). Once again, we will hold the tournament in conjunction with Southern Minnesota NSDA.
The NSDA has many important procedures in registering for the tournament that can seem daunting, especially for schools participating for the first time. Please make sure to thoroughly review the instructions on this site so that you are following each procedure. If at any time you have questions or need assistance in the registration process, please do not hesitate to contact Zach Prax at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before the tournament:
1. Register at Joy of Tournaments by Friday, March 2nd at the latest. No new entries will be allowed after this date. Teams will be allowed to make changes to their entries until Wednesday, March 7th; after that, all changes must be emailed to email@example.com. Please make sure to fully complete the registration process, including Original Oratory and Informative titles and all script information for interpretation events. Enter your entries as early as possible so the committee can make the appropriate plans regarding rounds.
2. Make sure that all competing students are NSDA members at least 7 days prior to the tournament. This rule is absolute and is prescribed by the NSDA, so exceptions can't be made. The website will not allow non-members to be registered.
3. Make sure that any NSDA members competing at the distict tournament that are new as of this year have completed the online student registration process. Per NSDA rules, students will not count towards chapter strength or be enabled to compete unless this process is done. You will be able to tell if students have completed the membership registration process if there is a gold star next to their name in the registration process. Please do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need any help with this.
4. Print off the official NFL Registration Form ("green sheet") that can be found under the [entries] tab. This form will automatically populate with entries after you register online.
5. Be sure that you have paid all outstanding bills for new members. If you have not paid, you will need to pay these fees at tournament registration.
6. Complete the attached form under the [Fees] tab to calculate your amount due and request a check. Local dues ($50) will need to be paid at registration if you have not already paid them in any of the debate or Congress district tournaments.
To Bring To Registration:
1. The completed official District tournament registration sheet ("green sheet").
2. A check to cover entry fees and local dues (if applicable). There is a $10 entry fee for each entry. There is also a $50 fee for local dues if your school has not already paid it in the LD/PF, Policy, or Congress District Tournaments. THE CHECK FOR ALL ENTRY/JUDGE FEES AND LOCAL DUES SHOULD BE PAYABLE TO
CENTRAL MN NSDA
c/o Zach Prax
6200 140th Street W
Apple Valley, MN 55124
3. A separate check for any outstanding NSDA membership fees (if applicable). Zach will email you any amount due to the NSDA office one week prior to the tournament date. THE CHECK FOR ALL OUTSTANDING NSDA FEES SHOULD BE PAYABLE TO
National Speech and Debate Association
401 Railroad Place
West Des Moines, IA 50265
4. Completed Single Entry Letter of Intent Forms for students that are double entering in two different speech events, or are single-entering in a speech event after having already qualified previously in a debate event.
5. (If applicable) All traveling championship trophies for speech.
Other Required Items - Not collected at registration, but you MUST bring them and be able to produce immediately in case of protest.
1. Copies of all Original Orations and Informative Speaking scripts (please see the [Information and Fees] tab for more information).
2. Copies of scripts for all interpretation events in accordance with the rules found in the NFL District Tournament Manual (please see the [Information and Fees] tab for more information).
2017 Site Information:
Friday's competition will be held at Centennial High School, 4757 North Road, Circle Pines, MN 55014). Tournament headquarters/tab room will be announced at least a week before the tournament. A viewing/results room will be made available to head coaches only. A judges/coaches lounge will be available.
Saturday's competition will be held at Eagan High School, 4185 Braddock Trail, Eagan, MN 55123. It will run in conjunction with the Eagan Wildcat Speech Tournament. Tournament headquarters/tab room will be posted as soon as possible.
Though tournament operations will be conducted by the Central Minnesota NSDA Committee, a viewing room will be made available on both days for coaches to audit results tabulation.
Qualification to Nationals:
During the 2016-2017 school year, the Central Minnesota NSDA District obtained over 1400 new members and degrees. Because of the size and strength of our entire district, the National Speech and Debate Association has declared us a Level Three Bonus Qualifier. What this means is that we are guaranteed three entries to attend the NSDA National Tournament in Fort Lauderdale, Florida in each speech and debate event. This bonus is conditional on a requirement that we meet the original criteria for qualifying two contestants.
Again, please email email@example.com with any questions or if you need assistance registering for the tournament.