2017 Central MN NSDA District LD/PF Debate Tournament
December 9, 2017 - St. Paul Academy
All Central Minnesota NSDA Schools are invited to participate in the Central Minnesota NSDA District Debate Tournament to be held December 9, 2017 at St. Paul Academy. The top three entries in Lincoln-Douglas and Public Forum Debate will qualify to compete at the NSDA National Tournament next June in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
The NSDA has many important procedures in registering for the tournament that can seem daunting, especially for schools participating for the first time. Please make sure to thoroughly review the instructions on this site so that you are following each procedure. If at any time you have questions or need assistance in the registration process, do not hesitate to contact Zach Prax at email@example.com.
The phone number for tournament headquarters is 952-201-0201. Though tournament operations will be conducted by the district committee, the tab room is open to all head and assistant coaches for observation of pairing, judge placement, and results tabulation each round.
Before the tournament:
1. Register at Joy of Tournaments by Friday, December 1st at the latest. No new entries will be allowed after this date, but you will be allowed to make changes to your registration.
2. Print a completed registration form (the NFL "green sheet") from the [entries] tab of this website. Once you've completed your registration, you'll see download links for the registration form. The downloaded form will automatically imput your registration, so all you will need to do is print and sign the appropriate parts of the document.
3. You will only be allowed to register if you have paid your national dues ($149.00) and your chapter is in good standing. If you are listed on the Central MN NSDA roster (points.speechanddebate.org), you are active. Please contact Zach Prax if you have any questions regarding this requirement.
4. Be sure that you have paid all outstanding bills for new members. If you have not paid, you will need to pay these fees at tournament registration.
5. Complete the attached form under the [Fees] tab to calculate your amount due and request a check. Local dues ($50) will need to be paid at registration if your school did not participate in the District Congress.
6. Be sure that every student entered is an NFL member at least 7 days prior to the tournament. This rule is absolute and is prescribed by the NFL, so exceptions can't be made. The web site will not allow non-members to be registered.
To Bring To Registration:
1. The completed official District tournament registration sheet ("green sheet").
2. A check to cover entry fees and local dues. There is a $25 entry fee for each entry. There is a $75 fee for each hired judge. If you have 4 entries in a single event, you must pay for one hired judge (so, two hired judges if you are bringing 4 LD debaters and 4 PF teams). There is also a $50 fee for local dues (which covers congress, debate, and speech for the year...this may have already been paid by your school at the Congressional Debate qualifier). THE CHECK FOR ALL ENTRY/JUDGE FEES AND LOCAL DUES SHOULD BE PAYABLE TO
CENTRAL MN NSDA
c/o Zach Prax
6200 140th Street W
Apple Valley, MN 55124
3. A separate check for any outstanding NSDA membership fees (if applicable). I will email you any amount due to the NFL office one week prior to the tournament date. THE CHECK FOR ALL OUTSTANDING NSDA FEES SHOULD BE PAYABLE TO
National Speech and Debate Association
125 Watson Street
PO Box 38
Ripon, WI 54971
4. Completed Single Entry Letters of Intent (for students competing that have already qualified to the tournament in Congressional Debate / students that are autoqualified to the 2017 National Tournament) (if applicable)
5. Traveling LD/PF trophies from the previous year (if applicable).
2017 Site Information:
Once again, SPA has graciously agreed to host the Central MN NFL LD/PF Debate Tournament. A major thank you to Tom Fones and his coaching staff for continuing to give us a great location and even better hospitality each December.
St. Paul Academy is located at:
1712 Randolph Avenue
Saint Paul, MN 55105
Please make sure you type this specific address into any GPS software. There is another campus of SPA, but make sure you go to the one on Randolph Avenue.
Concessions WILL NOT be available, so you should instruct students to bring a bag lunch or to bring money for nearby restaurant options. There will be a coaches/judges lounge provided.
LD - TBD (November/December 2017)
PF - TBD (December 2017)
Qualification to Nationals:
During the 2016-2017 school year, the Central Minnesota NSDA District obtained over 1400 new members and degrees. Because of the size and strength of our entire district, the National Speech and Debate Association has designated Central Minnesota as being a Level Three Bonus Qualifier. What this means is that we are guaranteed three entries to attend the NFL National Tournament in Fort Lauderdale, Florida in each speech and debate event. This bonus is conditional on a requirement that we meet the original criteria for qualifying two contestants in each event we want to have the bonus in.
Again, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or if you need assistance registering for the tournament.
District Chair, Central Minnesota NSDA