2017 Central MN NSDA Policy Debate Tournament
January 19-20, 2017
St. Paul Johnson High School (Thursday) / Lakeville North High School (Friday)
All Central MN NSDA Schools are invited to participate in the Central Minnesota NSDA Policy Debate District Tournament to be held January 19-20, 2017 at St. Paul Johnson and Lakeville North High Schools. In an effort to maximize judge use, we are going to try hosting the tournament using a Thursday-Friday model; we will be competing by ourselves on Thursday, and in conjunction with Southern Minnesota NSDA on Friday.\
St. Paul Johnson is located at 1349 Arcade Street, St. Paul MN, 55106.
Lakeville North is located at 19600 Ipava Avenue, Lakeville MN 55044.
The NSDA has many important procedures in registering for the tournament that can seem daunting, especially for schools participating for the first time. Please make sure to thoroughly review the instructions on this site so that you are following each procedure. If at any time you have questions or need assistance in the registration process, please do not hesitate to contact Zach Prax at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before the tournament:
1. Register at Joy of Tournaments by Thursday, January 12 at the latest. No new entries will be allowed after this date.
2. Print a completed registration form (the NSDA "green sheet") from the [entries] tab of this website. Once you've completed your registration, you'll see download links for the registration form. The downloaded form will automatically imput your registration, so all you will need to do is print. Please keep in mind that this form requires a principal signature and will be turned in at registration.
3. You will only be allowed to register if you have paid your national dues ($149.00) and your chapter is in good standing. If you are listed on the Central MN NFL roster on nflonline.org, you are active. Please contact Zach if you have any questions regarding this requirement.
4. Be sure that you have paid all outstanding bills for new members. If you have not paid, you will need to pay these fees at tournament registration.
5. Complete the attached form under the [Fees] tab to calculate your amount due and request a check. Local dues ($50 - if not already paid at the LD/PF Tournament) will need to be paid at registration.
6. Be sure that every student entered is an NSDA member at least 7 days prior to the tournament. This rule is absolute and is prescribed by the NSDA, so exceptions can't be made. The web site will not allow non-members to be registered.
To Bring To Registration:
1. The completed official District tournament registration sheet ("green sheet").
2. A check to cover entry fees and local dues. There is a $25 entry fee for each policy entry. There is a $75 fee for each hired judge. If you have 4 policy teams, you must pay for one hired judge. There is also a $50 fee for local dues (this covers debate and speech for the year). If you had LD or PF debaters in December, you have already paid this fee. THE CHECK FOR ALL ENTRY/JUDGE FEES AND LOCAL DUES SHOULD BE PAYABLE TO
CENTRAL MN NSDA
c/o Zach Prax
6200 140th Street W
Apple Valley, MN 55124
3. A separate check for any outstanding NFL membership fees (if applicable). Zach will email you any amount due to the NFL office one week prior to the tournament date. THE CHECK FOR ALL OUTSTANDING NFL FEES SHOULD BE PAYABLE TO
National Speech and Debate Association
125 Watson Street
PO Box 38
Ripon, WI 54971
Concessions will be available, so you should instruct students to bring cash for food. A judges lounge will be made available for judges and coaches..
Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase its economic and/or diplomatic engagement with the People's Republic of China.
Qualification to Nationals:
During the 2016-2017 school year, the Central Minnesota NSDA District obtained over 1400 new members and degrees. Because of the size and strength of our entire district, the National Speech and Debate Association has declared us as being a Level Three Bonus Qualifier. What this means is that we are guaranteed three entries to attend the NFL National Tournament in Birmingham, Alabama in each speech and debate event. This bonus is conditional on a requirement that we meet the original criteria for qualifying two contestants. As long as we have 10 entries in Policy Debate, we get the guaranteed three qualifiers.
Again, please email email@example.com with any questions or if you need assistance registering for the tournament.
Central MN NSDA Tournament Coordinator