Students competing in this Novice Champs tournament have:
NOT competed in HS competitions prior to this year AND HAVE NOT qualified for State or Nationals.
Southern California Debate League
DEBATE on Friday, May 11 @ ARROYO HIGH SCHOOL
SPEECH/I.E.s on Saturday, May 12 @ GABRIELINO HIGH SCHOOL
* * * * *
IMPORTANT INFORMATION - PLEASE READ:
1. You must have paid your CHSSA dues AND YOUR SPRING & FALL SCDL BILLS prior to entering this tournament.
2. THIS TOURNAMENT IS ONLY FOR NOVICE (first year) STUDENTS that have NOT QUALIFIED for the State or National Championships.
3. All speech events run in simultaneously on Saturday
4. You may only enter 1 event on Friday for Debate or Congress. You may only enter 1 extemp.
5. ALL AWARDS FOR ALL EVENTS MUST BE PICKED UP AT AWARDS CEREMONY HELD AT GABRIELINO HS ON SATURDAY after 3pm.
* * * * *
If you, the coach of record, are NOT attending the tournament, you must send either an employee representing your school and have them check in your team at the beginning of the tournament with the tournament director.
IF You, the coach of record, are sending a volunteer and/or parent to care for your team, there MUST be a letter from your school signed by your principal indicating the person you are sending is the official "chaperone" of your team for the day. The letter must be turned in to the tournament director prior to the beginning of the tournament. Failure to do so may result in your student(s) not being allowed to compete.
The "chaperone" placed in charge of your team should have the student emergency medical forms, permission slips and parent contact forms for your team. Protect your students, yourself and your "representative."
Please notify the league president if you will not be attending and will be sending someone else in your place.
* * * * *
DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES:
Entries due on the website by 5pm, Friday, April 27
Events: All California High School Speech Association events
Divisions: ONLY NOVICE
Judges: Varsity students may judge. One judge required for every five SPEECH entries. 1 for every two DEBATE entries.
Fees: $3 per entry ($6 for duo/parli/public forum/policy debate)
$10 School Fee
DROP Fees: First two drops: no charge. Each addtional drop is 2x the entry fee
* * * * *
Classification of Novice vs. JV vs. Varsity
1. A student competing for the first time at any time during the SCDL tournament year (Sept-May) is novice regardless of which semester they begin competing.
The next SCDL tournament year (Sept-May) in which the student competes, will be considered that student’s JV year. After the 2nd year, the student is considered varsity. Debate/Congress/Speech are all lumped together ·
Ex.: a student competes at package deal…the clock begins ticking on their “novice status” ·
Ex.: a student competes at Novice Champs only…the clock is about to run out on the student’s novice status ·
Ex.: a student competes at Fall novice during their freshman year and then quits. The student returns as a senior…the student is JV ·
Ex.: a student competes their freshman year at fall debate only then quits the team. The student returns as a senior to compete in Fall Novice speech…the student would be in the JV category.
2. When there is no JV category, JV students must compete varsity. Students can compete up, but they can’t compete down.
3. If a student QUALIFIES for the CHSSA State Championships or the NFL National Championships, the student automatically becomes varsity in all events immediately.
Each coach on record may select a MVP or top student participating at each novice tournament. This student will be recognized at the awards ceremony with a medal, which will say "SCDL MVP." It is at the coach’s discretion whether or not to give the award.
Are you a COACH with questions? Please contact
Mrs. Nguyen, S.C.D.L. President.
* * * * *