IMPORTANT -- ONLY THOSE SCHOOLS THAT HAVE PAID THEIR 2017-18 CHSSA AND GGSA DUES WILL BE ALLOWED TO COMPETE AT THIS TOURNAMENT.
On Saturday, January 27th, the Golden Gate Speech Association will be hosting its third individual events tournament of the year at Lowell High School.
• The school is located at 1101 Eucalyptus Drive, San Francisco, CA 94132.
• This tournament will offer National Extemp, International Extemp, Original Oratory, Original Advocacy, Humorous Interp, Dramatic Interp, Thematic Interp, Original Prose and Poetry, Impromptu, Expository, Oratorical Interp, and Duo Interp.
• There will be Varsity (A) and Novice (B) divisions if entry size allows.
• There will be three preliminary rounds and a final round, unless a division is too small to warrant a final round. Trophies will be given in both Varsity and Novice.
• Arrive by 8:30 AM, with the first round to start by 9:00 AM. The final round usually starts around 3:15 PM, with the awards ceremony immediately following its conclusion. At several tournaments over the last couple of years, we managed to be done with awards by 5:30.
• Entry fees are $10 per event, $20 per duo team.
• Food will be provided for the students for a fee. Coaches and judges will have food provided for them at no cost.
• Students will be expected to dress appropriately, ties and dress shoes for boys and modest skirts or pants-suits for girls. Students must show respect for the facility and each other.
• Every team must fulfill their judging requirement of one judge for every seven entries. If you have eight entries, you need two judges.
• In addition to the judging requirement, every team must bring one adult -- usually the coach -- to assist with the running of the tournament.
AS ADOPTED AT OUR MAY 2013 COACHES MEETING, THE FOLLOWING ENTRY DEADLINES AND DROP FEES WILL NOW APPLY TO ALL GGSA TOURNAMENTS -- PLEASE READ VERY CAREFULLY!
• Entries must be received -- at this website -- by 5pm on Friday, January 20th, at which time entry fees will be assessed. All entries made by 5pm on Friday, January 19th will be admitted to the tournament, but late entries may be wait-listed.
• For drops that are made by 5pm on Wednesday, January 24th, schools will be credited 50% of the entry fee for those drops. No credits will be issued for drops made after 5pm on Wednesday, January 24th. Drops on the day of the tournament are frowned upon. Adds the day of the tournament are myths, like Bigfoot, alien abductions and that man from Nantucket.
• The tab room will require only five or six people to run at full efficiency.
• Judges room will need six people to staff it, three to push ballots and three to work the Judge's Helpdesk.
See you there.
GGSA Director of Individual Events