PLEASE NOTE THAT GGSA RULES STATE THAT ONLY SCHOOLS THAT ARE CURRENT PAID MEMBERS OF BOTH GGSA AND CHSSA ARE PERMITTED TO COMPETE AT LEAGUE TOURNAMENTS AFTER NOVEMBER 15. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR SCHOOL'S GGSA MEMBERSHIP STATUS, PLEASE CONTACT GGSA TREASURER TERRY ABAD. FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR SCHOOL'S CHSSA MEMBERSHIP STATUS, PLEASE CONTACT GGSA PRESIDENT DAVE MATLEY.
On Saturday, December 2nd, the Golden Gate Speech Association will be hosting its second individual events tournament of the year at Sonoma Valley High School.
• The school is located at 20000 Broadway, Sonoma, CA.
• This tournament will offer National Extemp, International Extemp, Original Oratory, Original Advocacy, Humorous Interp, Dramatic Interp, Thematic Interp, Original Prose and Poetry, Impromptu, Expository, Oratorical Interp, and Duo Interp.
• There will be Varsity (A) and Novice (B) divisions if entry size allows.
• There will be three preliminary rounds and a final round, unless a division is too small to warrant a final round. Trophies will be given in both Varsity and Novice.
• Arrive by 8:15 AM, with the first round to start by 9:00 AM. The final round usually starts around 3:15 PM, with the awards ceremony immediately following its conclusion. At several tournaments over the last couple of years, we managed to be done with awards by 4:30.
• Entry fees are $10 per event, $20 per duo team.
• Food will be provided for the students for a fee. Coaches and judges will have food provided for them at no cost.
• Students will be expected to dress appropriately, ties and dress shoes for boys and modest skirts or pants-suits for girls. Students must show respect for the facility and each other.
• Every team must fulfill their judging requirement of one judge for every seven entries. If you have eight entries, you need two judges.
• In addition to the judging requirement, every team must bring one adult -- usually the coach -- to assist with the running of the tournament.
AS ADOPTED AT OUR MAY 2013 COACHES MEETING, THE FOLLOWING ENTRY DEADLINES AND DROP FEES WILL NOW APPLY TO ALL GGSA TOURNAMENTS -- PLEASE READ VERY CAREFULLY!
• Entries must be received -- at this website -- by 5pm on Friday, November 24th, at which time entry fees will be assessed. All entries made by 5pm on Friday, November 24th will be admitted to the tournament, but late entries may be wait-listed.
• For drops that are made by 5pm on Wednesday, November 29th, schools will be credited 50% of the entry fee for those drops. No credits will be issued for drops made after 5pm on Wednesday, November 29th. Drops on the day of the tournament are frowned upon. Adds the day of the tournament are myths, like Bigfoot, alien abductions and that man from Nantucket.
• The tab room will require only five or six people to run at full efficiency.
• Judges room will need six people to staff it, three to push ballots and three to work the Judge's Helpdesk.
See you there.
Kristen Plant, Kimberly Fradelis & Justin Kurup
GGSA Directors of Individual Events