** IMPORTANT -- PLEASE BE SURE TO CAREFULLY REVIEW THE INFORMATION UNDER THE "NEW RULE" TAB ***
GGSA Member Schools,
On Saturday, October 21st, 2017 the Golden Gate Speech Association will be hosting its first speech tournament of the year -- Lynette Williamson Individual Events 1 -- at James Logan High School (1800 H Street, Union City, CA 94587).
• The tournament will offer National Extemp, International Extemp, Original Oratory, Original Advocacy, Humorous Interp, Dramatic Interp, Thematic Interp, Original Prose and Poetry, Impromptu, Expository, Oratorical Interp, and Duo Interp.
• There will be Varsity (A) and Novice (B) divisions in each event if entry size allows.
• Double entry is not allowed at regular season GGSA IE tournaments.
• There will be three preliminary rounds and a final round, unless a division is too small to warrant a final round. Trophies will be given in both Varsity and Novice divisions.
• Arrive by 8:15 AM, with the first round to start by 9:00 AM. The final round is scheduled to begin at 3:00 PM and the awards ceremony is scheduled to begin at 5:00 PM.
• Entry fees are $10 per event, $20 per duo team.
• Food will be provided for the students for a fee. Coaches and judges will have food provided for them at no cost. Students are NOT allowed into the judges room to partake in the lunch service there.
• Students will be expected to dress appropriately, ties and dress shoes for boys and modest skirts or pants-suits for girls. Students must show respect for the facility and each other.
• Every team must fulfill their judging requirement of one judge for every seven entries. If you have eight entries, you need two judges.
• In addition to the judging requirement, every team must bring one adult -usually the coach- to assist with the running of the tournament.Tournament directors will communicate many assignments in advance, but all coaches are asked to pitch-in on the day!
AS ADOPTED AT OUR MAY 2013 COACHES MEETING, THE FOLLOWING ENTRY DEADLINES AND DROP FEES WILL NOW APPLY TO ALL GGSA TOURNAMENTS -- PLEASE READ VERY CAREFULLY!
• Entries must be received -- at this website -- by 5pm on Friday, October 13th, at which time entry fees will be assessed. All entries made by 5pm on Friday, October 13th will be admitted to the tournament, but late entries may be wait-listed.
• For drops that are made by 5pm on Wednesday, October 18th, schools will be credited 50% of the entry fee for those drops. No credits will be issued for drops made after 5pm on Wednesday, October 18th. Drops on the day of the tournament are frowned upon. Adds the day of the tournament are myths, like Bigfoot, alien abductions and that man from Nantucket.
Thank you for empowering students through speech!
Kimberly Fradelis, Justin Kurup, and Kristen Plant
GGSA Directors of Individual Events