Novice Debate and Individual Events Tournament
September 23, 2017
1. Definition: A novice is defined as any competitor in their first year OR who has had less than 10 rounds of competition prior to the current school year (excluding workshops). Experienced PF debaters who switch to LD are NOT NOVICES, and experienced LD debaters who switch to PF are NOT NOVICES. Individuals who have experience in IE only would certainly be novice debaters. In individual events, a competitor who is doing individual events for the first time IS considered a novice. No other students should be in competition.
2. Judges: In order to get more rounds in for your novice, we are trying to single flight the tournament. This means for debate events, we ask you provide one judge for every two debate entries. In individual events, one judge for every five entries (or fraction thereof). These quotas should not be a problem given the fact that your varsity members are able to judge. A varsity member with 200 NSDA points is recognized by the NSDA as eligible to judge novice. We won’t quibble about a few points, as long as the varsity has adequate experience. Certainly, no one who will compete in novice division during the upcoming year should be judging. It is important that you realize that one of the additional benefits associated with this tournament is to allow varsity people to judge so that they can build NSDA point totals. Please advise with your student judges about writing constructive ballots.
YOU MAY NOT HIRE JUDGES UNLESS YOURS IS A NEW PROGRAM WITHOUT VARSITY PEOPLE WHO COULD SERVE AS JUDGES. It will be difficult for Vestavia Hills to provide additional judges or to hire judges EXCEPT as deemed necessary to assist programs which have no varsity students to draw upon. If, for some reason, this presents a problem for your program, please email us as soon as possible. If we can help by hiring judges for you, we will. Judge availability will be the determining factor. Cost per hired judge is $40.00. Coaches, please do not judge yourself unless you must; let your varsity people get the NSDA points. Also, we would like for you to be able to observe both your students and the workings of a tab room. Of course, you may judge if you like.
Judge requirements: 1 judge for every 2 Public Forum Team
1 judge for every 2 LD entries
1 judge for every 5 IE entries
3. Double Entries: Students may only enter one type of debate. Students may enter up to two IE divisions. No student may compete in debate and IE.
4. Fees: Fees for this tournament will be $8.00 per person per event (this means $16.00 total for a PF team). Make all checks payable to Vestavia Hills High School. Judges fees will be $40 per judge. Please do not hire and let your varsity judge. We don't want your money.
5. Deadlines: All entries must be received by noon on Thursday, September 21. However, we would love your entries much earlier. Last year we had record numbers and used every classroom available. The sooner you enter entries, the better it is on us to plan. Any drops after the entry deadline will be assessed a $10.00 nuisance. Any drops after 3:00 p.m. on Friday, September 18, will be assessed a $20.00 nuisance fee. This fee is added to the fee computed at deadline. We are sorry that, unless the situation is extreme, we can accept no entries or additions after this time. Space is a very relevant factor for us. If we have room, we are happy to accommodate.
6. Awards: Appropriate awards will be presented for all students placing in their respective events. However, the emphasis for this tournament is experience, not awards. Our awards are fun and cheap, and thus, allows the entry fees to stay low.
7. Food: Food will be available for sale from our concessions. Please ask your students to support the snack bar. A successful snack bar keeps the fees low. We do have to pay to keep the facility open. Certainly, we would assume that no food from an outside source would be brought into our school. The only exception would be if you or a competitor has strict dietary restrictions.
*Our concessions this year will not be ran by our parents and is outsourced to those responsible for concessions at all VHHS sporting events. The menu will be much more extensive. In addition, they WILL be accepting credit cards.
If you should have questions regarding the tournament or information contained in this invitation, please feel free to contact us at your earliest convenience.
We look forward to seeing you!
Best contact: email@example.com
Vestavia Hills High School (205) 402-5250; Fax Number (205) 402-5262; email